Script Revised 7-11-2021
Announcements updated 7-28-2021
>>>> CHAIRPERSONS PLEASE READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS <<<<
Chairpersons please arrive 5 minutes before your meeting starts and be prepared to moderate the post meeting space for 15 minutes.
· Review Guidelines for Chairpersons.
· Script to be read is in BOLD. Instructions are in ITALICS.
· Please become familiar with and use Q&A mode.
· MAWPM meetings use Q&A mode from after the opening Serenity Prayer to the closing Serenity Prayer at the end. Q&A is also used for the phone number exchange and the actual Q&A afterward.
· Remember to unmute yourself when it is your turn to speak as the chair.
COMMANDS FOR EVERYONE:
*2 Caller Count
*3 Exit the call
*4 Instructions - hear the list of available keypad commands
*6 Self Mute (when not in Q&A mode)
Suggested Mtg Outline
· Start with Serenity Prayer.
· Put meeting into Q&A mode.
· Read the intro items (Greeting, Preamble, … ).
· Ask for volunteers to read one of the Twelves.
· Ask newcomers to join the queue if they would like to introduce themselves.
· Ask for topics by inviting participants into the queue or read material for meeting focus.
· Ask for participants to join the queue for sharing.
· After sharing, allow for claiming of seats.
· Hop out of Q&A for closing Serenity Prayer.
· Back in Q&A for phone number exchange, questions, additional timed shares.
· Now for open fellowship. Disclaimer that there may be trolls.
Hello everyone. My name is _____ and I’m powerless over marijuana. Welcome to this open meeting of the “Marijuana Anonymous World Phone Meetings” or MAWPM (maa-pum) group. Our website, ma-phone.org, hosts three independent MA groups. We meet daily at 7 AM, 10 AM, Noon and 8 PM, and also from Tuesday through Friday at 10 PM US Eastern time zone.
Before the Serenity Prayer, we will take a moment of silence.
[Chair: Pause for 5 seconds.]
Make sure you are unmuted to participate. The Serenity Prayer starts with the word, God, and that’s the Higher Power of your own understanding.
We will do the call-and-response version, where I say a line and you repeat it.
God, grant me the serenity . . .
To accept the things I cannot change . . .
The courage to change the things I can, . . .
And the wisdom to know the difference.
These phone meetings are managed using Q&A mode. To participate in the meeting, join or remove yourself from the queue by pressing *6-1. When the system tells you, “You may now ask your question,” that means it’s time for you to speak.
I am now putting our call in Q&A mode.
[Chair: Put meeting into Q&A mode for the entire meeting until the closing Serenity Prayer by pressing *01.
Please be sure to mute when someone else is speaking and un-mute when you talk.]
I am Responsible.
Whenever anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help,
. . . I want the hand of Marijuana Anonymous to be there.
And for that: I am responsible.
Please be of service, and prepare to read one of the Twelves (The Steps, Traditions, Questions, Promises or Principles) or Our Awakening, and enter the queue by pressing *6-1. These readings can be found on our website, ma-phone.org, under Readings & Resources, Meeting Readings. I will check the queue for a reader after the MA Preamble.
Marijuana Anonymous is a fellowship of people who share our experience, strength, and hope with each other that we may solve our common problem and help others to recover from marijuana addiction.
The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using marijuana. This is to adhere to the singleness of purpose concept, but many of us have found that the only way that we can keep our sobriety is to abstain from all mind and mood altering chemicals, including alcohol.
There are no dues or fees for membership. We are self-supporting through our own contributions. MA is not affiliated with any religious or secular institution or organization and has no opinion on any outside controversies or causes. Our primary purpose is to stay free of marijuana and to help the marijuana addict who still suffers achieve the same freedom. We can do this by practicing our suggested Twelve Steps of recovery and by being guided as a group by our Twelve Traditions.
I will now check the queue for a volunteer to read one of the Twelves.
[Chair: Press *02 to check for volunteers.]
Hi, what would you like to read?
[Chair: MUTE YOUR PHONE WHILE THEY READ; UNMUTE WHEN THEY FINISH.]
Thank you ______ for your service.
[Chair: After reading, press *04 to mute the last caller.
***New as of 7-11-21: only ONE reading]
What happens at an MA meeting?
People discuss their problems with marijuana, what they did to recover, and what life is like now. We have found that, as a group, we can achieve for ourselves results which, as individuals, we failed repeatedly.
MARIJUANA ANONYMOUS uses the 12 Steps of Recovery founded by Alcoholics Anonymous, because it has been proven to work!
Before we begin sharing, we want to welcome any newcomers or anyone returning to MA. Please introduce yourself by first name; there will be time for sharing later. Whether you share today or stay to listen, we’re glad you’re here and hope you keep coming back.
Press *6-1 to join the queue.
[Chair: Pause for 5 seconds, then press *02 to check for newcomers and welcome them individually.]
[If no newcomers introduce themselves, skip ahead to "Meeting Focus".]
Please stay on the line after the meeting to ask questions, receive support, and learn about recovery resources. Please join us Wednesdays at noon Eastern time for our newcomer meeting.
[Chair: If you, the chairperson, cannot stay after the meeting to greet newcomers, then ask for a volunteer with 90 days or more.]
[SCRIPT FOR OPEN TOPIC MEETINGS ONLY]
Today’s meeting is an open topic discussion. The topic I’m offering is _______. I will take **one more topic** from the group. Please press *6-1 to offer the second topic.
[Chair: If “topic discussion,” please come prepared with ONE topic related to recovery from marijuana addiction, and invite the group to offer up ONE topic for a maximum of TWO topics for discussion.]
[SCRIPT FOR 7AM MEETING ONLY]
· Daily 7 AM EST : Just For Today reading
This meeting uses the “Just for Today” daily reading from Narcotics Anonymous. Marijuana Anonymous is not affiliated with and does not endorse any other Twelve Step program.
Meeting Schedule for Reference
· Sunday @ 10 AM EST : 12 Traditions
· Monday @ 10 AM EST : A Spiritual Solution
· Tuesday @ 10 AM EST : Working the Steps
· Wednesday @ 10 AM EST : Step 10 Tools of Recovery (LwH , 3rd Ed, pg. 50)
· Thursday @ 10 AM EST : MA Pamphlets
· Friday @ 10 AM EST : Promises Additional Script for Promises Meeting
· Saturday @ 10 AM EST : Staying Sober: Mind, Body & Spirit
· Sunday @ noon EST : spirituality focus
· Monday @ noon EST : **open topic discussion
· Tuesday @ noon EST : Spiritual Principles
· Wednesday @ noon EST : Newcomer's Meeting (first three steps)
· Thursday @ noon EST : **open topic discussion
· Friday @ noon EST : The Reading Room
· Saturday @ noon EST : Step Workshop
· Sunday - Friday @ 8:00 PM EST : **open topic discussion
(Monday: Milestone Mondays / **open topic discussion)
· Saturday @ 8:00 PM EST : speaker meeting
· Tuesday @ 10:00 PM EST : **open topic discussion
· Wednesday @ 10:00 PM EST : The Dangers of Cross Addiction
· Thursday @ 10:00 PM EST : **open topic discussion, Young People's mtg (25 and under) that is open and welcome to all ages
· Friday @ 10:00 PM EST : **open topic discussion, LGBTQ-oriented mtg that is open and welcome to all
[Chair: Topic material (e.g., Just for Today, pamphlets, etc) is read now.]
It is now time for sharing. We ask that you stay focused on the topic of recovery from marijuana addiction and share your own experience, strength, and hope by using “I” statements. Please keep your share to 4 minutes. Please confirm my one minute notice. There’s no need to stop abruptly; just wind down your share.
To provide a safe environment, we do not use excessive profanity or engage in crosstalk, which we define as giving someone advice, mentioning their name, or referring to their share. You can speak to others and ask questions after the meeting. I will follow these guidelines as well.
To share, press *6-1. The system will say, “You can now ask your question,” which means it’s your turn to share.
[Chair Commands for reference only:
*01 enter Q&A mode
*02 advance to next caller
*03 exit Q&A mode
*04 mute current caller]
Advance to next caller, *02,
“It’s your turn to share…”]
[Chair: time shares and when one minute left say:
[Chair: repeat one minute if speaker does not acknowledge notice.]
[Chair -- If needed:]
“Check your phone to see if you are muted.”
[Pause to allow them to finish their thought]
“I’m going to advance the queue.”
Note: Only excerpts are available on the MA website.
Check the Queue after every 2-3 paragraphs to see if anyone is ready to share]
[Chair: Throughout the meeting, continue to remind callers of the topics, “As a reminder, the topic(s) today is (are)…”
When there is nobody in the queue, there is no need to reiterate topics after each share as it takes away time for sharing.]
Closing (at about 50 minutes into the mtg)
That’s all the time we have for sharing during the meeting. The opinions expressed by individuals do not represent MA as a whole. What you’ve heard at the meeting is confidential and should go no further.
If you haven’t shared yet, it’s now time to claim your seat by pressing *6-1. This means announcing your first name and, if you’d like, your location and day count. This helps us all know that we are not alone in our recovery.
[Alternate seat claiming for Saturday Speaker Meeting ONLY:
It's now time to get in the queue by pressing *6-1 to claim your seat and thank the speaker. This means announcing your first name and, if you'd like, your location and day count. This helps us all know that we are not alone in this recovery process. Please join the queue now to claim your seat. The meeting may run over a few minutes as we will give everyone in the queue a chance to speak.]
[Chair: press *02 to check the queue for seat-claimers.
Press *04 to mute last caller.]
Please stay on the line after we close to exchange phone numbers, ask questions, and join in fellowship.
Our 7th Tradition states that MA has no dues or fees. We are self-supporting through our own contributions. For information on how to contribute to MA World Services, please go to Meetings & Contacts, Tradition Seven on the ma-phone.org website.
Please give what you can and Keep Coming Back!
If you have an MA-related announcement press *6-1.
· Service is an important part of recovery. If you have 60 days of continuous sobriety and are interested in being a chairperson, Tuesday at noon Eastern is open. Reach out to the Chairperson Coordinator about one of these meetings or other opportunities.
[Chair: list of open meetings can be found here Chairpersons List]
· All members are invited to our monthly MAWPM Group Conscience Meeting at 1:10 PM on the second Sunday of each month. The next meeting is August 8. The positions of Group Conscience Secretary, Chairperson Coordinator, and Podcast Administrator are open. To submit an agenda item or if you are interested in a service position, e-mail email@example.com.
· We are $50 away from meeting our annual fundraiser goal of $193.25 to pay for our website fees. For information on making a 7th tradition contribution, text 757-633-3012 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please continue contributing to MA World Services as usual.
There’s lots of exciting stuff happening in our group. Check out the announcements page on our website, ma-phone.org, under Readings & Resources, MAWPM Announcements.
I’ll check to see if there are additional announcements.
[Chair: Check the queue with *02.]
Thank you to everyone who provided service, those who shared, and those listening. [Optional: read names]
Welcome again to the newcomer(s). We’re glad you’re here. Keep coming back! Connection is the opposite of addiction.
I will now take us out of Q&A mode and put us into mute all mode for the Serenity Prayer.
Press *03 to end Q&A,
[FYI: After pressing *5, the system will say one of these 3 things:
If it says “muted” or “unmuted”, press *5 again until it says “...THEY CAN UNMUTE THEMSELVES”.]
You will need to unmute yourself by pressing *6.
Let’s do the all-together “we” version, starting now...
God, grant us the serenity . . .
To accept the things we cannot change . . .
The courage to change the things we can . . .
And the wisdom to know the difference.
THANK YOU, EVERYONE! The meeting is concluded.
[Optional per 12/8/19 Group Conscience]
Keep coming back. It works!
[Chair: Allow time for everyone to thank you for the meeting.]
MEETING AFTER THE MEETING
We are responsible for our own recovery. We encourage members to develop a support network by getting phone numbers. We work recovery for ourselves, not by ourselves. If you would like to share your phone number in this public space, please join the queue. I will now put us in Q&A mode, so press *6-1 to share your number.
[Chair: Press *01 to go back to Q&A.]
Everyone is welcome to share their number. Mention your willingness to be a sponsor or temporary sponsor. Sponsorship enhances recovery through one-on-one guidance on working the Twelve Steps and applying them in your life. We suggest you listen for those who “have what you want.”
If an outreach call makes you feel uncomfortable, consider ending contact with that individual.
[Chair: Press *02 to check for numbers.]
Do any newcomers have any questions at this time?
[Chair: Press *02 to take newcomer questions.
If you do not know the answer, ask others to get in the queue to share their experience, strength, and hope.]
[Chair: For meeting attendance verification, attendee must e-mail date & time of meeting with chairperson's name and topic discussed to email@example.com within 48 hours of meeting. If multiple verifications are needed, they will be sent weekly.]
Would anyone who didn’t get a chance to share during the meeting like to take a share?
[Chair: Press *02 to allow additional sharing.]
[Chair: When queue is empty, end Q&A mode by pressing *03.]
Would anyone like to hear the announcements?
[Chair: if anyone wants to hear the announcements, read the first section only of MAWPM Announcements.
This page can be found at ma-phone.org under Readings and Resources, MAWPM Announcements.]
***Please keep fellowship safe by maintaining an atmosphere of recovery. Sexual harassment, violence, gossip, and targeting others erodes trust and group unity and will not be tolerated.***
[Chair: A Safe Place pamphlet (is approved by GC but not conference approved literature)]
It is now time for fellowship.
[Chair: Optional - give prompts for recovery discussion in fellowship if line is quiet, e.g., “What are you doing for your recovery today?”, “Does anyone have any challenges they would like to hear experience, strength and hope about?
Copyright © 2021 Marijuana Anonymous World Phone Meetings - All Rights Reserved.