Read 12 Traditions
Minutes from last group conscience meeting (Summary of motions only)
- Motion to approve minutes
Subcommittee / Service Reports (no motions to approve)
- Web Administrator
- Chairperson Coordinator
- "New Leaf" Publication Liaison Coordinator
- Podcast Administrator
- Saturday Night Live Speaker Coordinator
- Safety Support Team
- Console Administrator (nomination to follow in new business)
- 7th Tradition/Treasury;
Report on total collected;
Motion to approve repaying Web Administrator $191.18 for the website renewal (There was a $.58 credit toward the total due of $191.76.)
- District Subcommittee (motions to follow in New Business)
1. Motion to add the Dangers of Cross Addiction statement (located in “Life with Hope”, pg 191, 3rd edition, listed below) to the script
(As stated in our third tradition, the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using marijuana. There is no mention of any other drugs or alcohol. This is to adhere to our “singleness of purpose” concept, but many of us have found that the only way we can keep our sobriety is to abstain
from all mind- and mood-altering chemicals, including alcohol.
When we give up the drug of our choice, a void is created. The initial struggle to abstain from marijuana use often leaves us vulnerable. To fill this void, we may start to use or increase the use of other substances such as alcohol, cocaine, pills, or other self-prescribed drugs. Although we may not now be addicted to these substances, their use can lower our inhibitions, leaving us open to repeating old patterns of thinking and behaving that can lead back to marijuana use. The fact that we became addicted to marijuana reflects a tendency toward behavior that may lead to cross addiction or substitution addiction to these substances.
To reiterate, the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using marijuana. It is important, however, to recognize the potential to create another problem as we strive to recover from this one.)
2. Motion to add a script announcement for the upcoming MA World Services Convention as follows:
The MA World Convention, the annual recovery and social gathering for all of MA, will be held in San Diego from October 7-9. Portions of the Convention will be available virtually. The deadline for scholarship applications is August 15. Details are available at mawsconvention.org.
3. Motion to approve the following list of benefits and important considerations about MAWPM becoming a District which will be shared with our members on the MAWPM Announcements page of the website, during an informational meeting (if approved in later motion), and individually through designated contact people that members can call.
1. MAWPM has already been functioning with a service structure in alignment with MA Traditions and the Service Manual
2. 2 Delegates and an alternate would be elected and represent the Group Conscience of MAWPM at the Annual MA World Services Conference with official votes
3. Delegates can report information from the Conference back to our membership at our monthly Group Conscience meeting about the various activities of MA World Services (policies, goals, service opportunities and resources)
4. Allow MAWPM to become better connected with MA World Services Trustees and other District counterparts. This, in turn, strengthens the carried message.
a. Other districts share how they have been handling problems, successes, group activities, and resources they have used in their groups.
b. Learn about best practices and activities of MA World Services Trustees and Subcommittees, including service opportunities
5. The District will need to do a 7th Tradition Fundraiser to collect contributions to send the delegates to the Conference (may involve paying for travel in the future which could be several thousand dollars). The 2022 Conference was virtual and cost around $100 per person. Although the 2023 World Services Conference will be virtual, future Conferences could be in person and may cost several thousand dollars for travel to send our delegates.
6. There has been a lack of service in our group as evidenced by important service positions being filled by individuals longer than the defined service term or remaining unfilled. Finding individuals to serve as Delegates could be challenging.
7. If the Women in Recovery group and Dudes in Recovery group elect to join the District, there would need to be an additional District Group Conscience meeting to include all MA Phone Meetings.
4. Motion to have an Informational Meeting on September 6 at 7 PM Eastern where the talking points will be read and members can ask questions or discuss their thoughts about becoming a District.
5. Motion to post the following script announcement:
MAWPM is taking a vote at the September Group Conscience meeting about becoming an official district of Marijuana Anonymous. To better understand what this means for our group, an information session will be held on September 6 at 7PM on this line and members are available to discuss it individually or you may call designated contacts for more information. See the MAWPM Announcements page under the Readings and Resources tab for details. All members are encouraged to learn about this and are eligible to vote at our September 11 Group Conscience meeting at 1:10 PM Eastern. The ONLY requirement for membership in Marijuana Anonymous is a desire to stop using marijuana. Your voice and your vote matter!
6. Motion to change the format of the Sunday 10 am meeting from Traditions each week. Maybe the Tradition for the month on first Sunday, and read from the stories in Life With Hope for the other weeks.
7. (Late submission) Motion to approve Morgan as Console Administrator.
8. (Late submission) Motion to set SNL speaker minimum requirement of 90 days clean and the ability to carry the message of recovery working the program of Marijuana Anonymous. (This could be added to the Speaker Seeker Coordinator service position description.)
- These service positions are open: Group Conscience Chairperson, Web Administrator, Secretary, and Console Administrator.
- The MA Convention is October 7-9 in San Diego, CA. Parts of it will be available virtually. Information is available at mawsconvention.org.
Motion to Adjourn
Copyright © 2022 Marijuana Anonymous World Phone Meetings - All Rights Reserved.