Women in Recovery (WIR) Phone Script (Updated May 2017)
- Meetings Wednesdays at 7:00 pm EST
- Dial In #: 1-712-775-7031
- Chair Pin #: please talk to a current chair to get #
Note to Chair:
- Call into the conference
- Enter meeting access code followed by #sign
- You will then be asked to hit * if you are the host
- Enter the host pin # followed by the # sign
- This is for your information only, do not read Monthly Format below
Week 1: Step meeting
The step read is based on the number of the month, i.e. November = Step 11. We will be reading from MA’s Life With Hope book.
Week 2: Open topic
Week 3: Open topic
Week 4: Open Topic and Milestone celebration
Say: Hello everyone, my name is ______________________ and I am a marijuana addict. Use *6 to mute your phones and *6 to un-mute your phones. You can also use the *2 feature during the meeting for a current participant count. We don’t say, “Hi,” after each introduction or thank each person who shares during these phone meetings to better control the background noise level. Welcome to the Women in Recovery phone meeting of Marijuana Anonymous.
We meet in this teleconference on Wednesdays at 7 PM EST.
(Note To Chair: Serenity Prayer is Optional at start of meeting.) If you would like to join me in the Serenity Prayer, please un-mute your phones now.
We start with God,
and that is God as you understand…
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change…
The courage to change the things I can…
And the wisdom to know the difference
(Please mute your phones now.)
Marijuana Anonymous is a fellowship of people who share our experience, strength and hope with each other that we may solve our common problem and help others to recover from marijuana.
The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using marijuana. There are no dues or fees for membership. We are self-supporting through our own contributions. MA is not affiliated with any religious or secular institution or organization and has no opinion on any outside controversies or causes. Our primary purpose is to stay free of Marijuana and to help the marijuana addict who still suffers achieve the same freedom.
“Who is a marijuana addict?
We who are marijuana addicts know the answer to this question. Marijuana controls our lives. We lose interest in all else; our dreams go up in smoke. Ours is a progressive illness often leading us to addictions from other drugs, including alcohol. Our lives, our thinking and our desires center around marijuana: scoring it, dealing it and finding ways to stay high.
As stated in our Third Tradition, the only requirement for membership in MA is a desire to stop using marijuana. This is to adhere to the “singleness of purpose” concept, but many of us have found that the only way we can keep our sobriety is to abstain from all mind and mood altering chemicals.
Marijuana Anonymous uses the basic 12 steps of recovery founded by Alcoholic Anonymous, because it has been proven to work!”
(Note to Chair: Read only one or the other, or none.)
(Note: all of the above can be found at ma-phone.org on the side bars. Please thank the person who read by name)
Tradition Two states: For our group purpose, there is but one ultimate authority – a loving God as is expressed in our group conscience. To maintain the serenity of the meeting here are some guidelines:
- When you share please tell us your first name. If you’re comfortable you may include your location and optionally, your clean time. This helps to facilitate connection and outreach.
- We do not engage in cross-talk, which we define as interrupting or directly addressing another speaker. This includes commenting after a share by anyone, including the chair. This provides a safe environment for all.
- At 40 minutes we will take a break for MA related announcements.
- After everyone has shared, if time permits, second shares will be asked for. After the meeting we invite you to stay on the line to exchange phone numbers, answer questions and enjoy fellowship.
- During the first half please limit your share to four minutes or less. After the break, shares will be limited to three minutes.
- The chair will signal you when you have one minute to wrap up. Please acknowledge the timekeeper’s signal.
Before we begin, we want to welcome any newcomers to the meeting and acknowledge your being here. It is suggested that you attend at least six meetings so you have time to identify with the speakers, begin to absorb the MA concepts, and learn more about the program. Please explore the MA website at marijuana–anonymous.org and make out reach calls. There will be a phone number exchange at the end of the meeting.
“Are there any newcomers here with us today? Let us know you’re here, if you want, so we can welcome you.” Pause …….. Greet any newcomer who speaks up. I will be staying on the line after the meeting to respond to questions in further welcome newcomers. (Note to chair: if you cannot stay after the meeting to be newcomer greeter then ask for a volunteer with 30 days or more clean time).
IT IS NOW TIME FOR OPEN SHARING. The topic for tonight is _________________.
Does anyone else have a topic they may like to share?
(Note to chair: Topic meetings are the 2nd, 3rd and 5th weeks of the month.)
Who would like to begin sharing?
Newcomers, please feel free to share anything you need to.
(NOTE TO CHAIR:
- After shares, thank speaker by name, and then invite others to share.
- Reiterate the meetings focus if needed.
- Do not cross talk by commenting on people’s shares.
7th Tradition Break at 40 mins past the hour.
Our seventh tradition states that MA has no dues or fees. We are self-supporting through our own contributions. We do have expenses for the dissemination of MA literature, the maintenance of our website and costs incurred by MA World Services. Contribution can be made to MA World Service via the seventh tradition PayPal link on the website marijuana-anonymous.org. Or, you can mail your contribution to:
MA World Services
340 S. Lemon Ave. # 9420
Walnut, CA 91789 USA
Please give what you can, but if you can give nothing for now: KEEP COMING BACK!!
MA related announcements read by Chair:
- When you have at least 30 days clean time, please consider doing service by chairing a meeting. Speak with the current chair to get started.
- The WIR Group Conscience meeting is held on the first Wednesday of the month following the regular meeting if there are agenda items. If you have an agenda item please send email
- The 2018 World Convention is February 16th in Seattle, Washington. See mawsconvention.org for more info.
- Please know that there are four or more Marijuana Anonymous phone meetings daily, on two other phone lines. They are at 7am, 10am, Noon, and 8pm, Eastern standard time. Please check ma-phone.org for all schedules and additional meeting times and phone numbers.
- MA World Services is developing a pen pal program that will involve MA members, with a year or more sobriety, being paired with an inmate who needs to share your experience, strength & hope. For more information please contact email@example.com.
Are there any other MA related announcements?
Return to shares, limiting them to 3 minutes now.
Optional, ask if there is anyone who did not share that would like to claim their seat by letting us know you are here by stating your name.
After we close the meeting, I will stay on the line to answer questions and there will be time for fellowship. Please know that there are many other Marijuana Anonymous phone meetings available. There are online meetings and face to face meetings available. Please check ma-phone.org and/or marijuana-Annonymous.org for the complete listing of times, phone numbers and locations.
In closing, the opinions expressed here today are strictly those of the individuals who gave them. The things you have heard here are spoken in confidence and should be treated as confidential. We do not take outside the meeting who we hear inside the meeting. If you try to absorb what you’ve heard here you were bound to gain a better understanding of the way to handle your challenges and begin to change your life. Talk to each other, reason things out with someone else.
Let there be no gossip or criticism of one another, but only Love, Understanding and Fellowship. (NOTE TO CHAIR: Optionally, can ask for a moment of silence before the serenity prayer.) If you would like to join me in the Serenity Prayer, please un-mute your phone.
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference
OPTIONAL PRAYER (if you choose) can be found at ma-phone.org right side menu.
This is the conclusion of the formal meeting. We will now move forward with phone number exchanges. Is there anyone who would like to give out their number??